ImmoTool-Server 1.0.0 released
The new license policy of Oracle Java also affects ImmoTool-Server. Therefore we are publishing ImmoTool-Server in version 1.0.0 simultaneously with ImmoTool 1.0.0.
Most important changes
From a functional perspective there are no significant modifications. No new features were introduced. Most changes were made below the surface.
Migration to Java 8
In order to follow the further development of the HSQL database ImmoTool-Server requires Java 8 at minimum. But it is recommended to use Java 11, if possible.
Java is bundled together with ImmoTool-Server
Earlier ImmoTool-Server versions required a separate installation of Java. This is not necessary anymore. The application is bundled together with Java 11.
After you have updated to ImmoTool-Server 1.0.0 a separate installation of Java is not required anymore. You can remove the Java installation from your operating system (as long as it is not required by other applications).
Installers for Windows, macOS and Debian
Until now we have only provided ZIP and TAR.GZ archives on our website. From ImmoTool-Server 1.0.0 on we provide installation packages in common formats for the supported operating systems:
For Windows systems there is a EXE installation program available. After the file was downloaded, the installation program can be started with a double click on the file. The installation program will automatically create shortcuts within the start menu.
For macOS systems there is a DMG installation file available. After the file was downloaded, the well known installation procedure can be started with a double click on the file.
For Debian based Linux systems (like Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint) there is a DEB package available. Alternatively you might use our Debian repository at https://debian.openestate.org for an easier installation and update. If the Debian package automatically register a service and timer for automated backups in the operating system.
For other Linux systems there is still a TAR.GZ archives available.
New directory structure
ImmoTool-Server now clearly separates program files and application data. This makes it easier to install the application securely (with correct permissions).
WARNING: If you want to update an existing installation of ImmoTool-Server, you should absolutely follow the update notes in the user manual. An accidental / premature removal of the application folder may lead to a loss of the database.
Reworked service installation
Installing ImmoTool-Server as a service on Windows, macOS and Linux have been reworked from scratch (see "Setup a service for ImmoTool-Server" in the user manual).
Documentation in the user manual
The new user manual contains a separate section, that covers all relevant parts of the ImmoTool-Server. The user manual is available at https://manual.openestate.org or might be downloaded in other formats from the download area of this website.
Signed application bundle for macOS
In order to avoid problems with Gatekeeper on macOS we have become verified Apple developers. From ImmoTool-Server 1.0.0 on we are providing a signed application bundle. Therefore problems with Gatekeeper should be a thing of the past.
Increased system requirements
Due to the migration to Java 11 there are slightly higher system requirements for ImmoTool.
- You should use at least Windows 7. Windows Vista and XP are not supported anymore.
- You should use at least macOS 10.9.
- Linux systems should not be affected by the migration to Java 11.
Find out more about the system requirements in the user manual.
The following tasks from the Bug-Tracker have been resolved with ImmoTool-Server 1.0.0:
- 001734 [Misc] Installation routine for Windows
- 001735 [Misc] Installation routine for MacOS
- 001736 [Misc] Sign application bundles for MacOS
- 001737 [Misc] Migration to Java 8
- 001738 [Misc] Integrate a Java Runtime Environment into the release package
- 001739 [Misc] Application bundle for Linux x64
- 001740 [Misc] Installation routine for Debian based Linux (amd64)
- 001741 [Misc] Provide a repository for the Debian package
- 001742 [Feature] Improved backup routine
- 001743 [General] Separate data, logs, configurations from the application folder
- 001746 [Misc] Update to hsqldb 2.4.1
- 001747 [Misc] Update to BouncyCastle 1.61
- 001748 [Misc] Update to commons-io 2.6
- 001749 [Misc] Update to commons-lang 3.8.1
- 001750 [Misc] Replace YAJSW with commons-daemon to provide a Windows service
- 001765 [Misc] Migrate from log4j to Logback
How do I get the latest version?
Installation packages for ImmoTool-Server 1.0.0 are available in the download area.